Thursday 24 July 2014

The Venice Post

I finally made the trip to Venice the weekend before last and OMG it was amazing! We had three full days and two nights in the city and I genuinely didn't want to come home.



A lot of people said that the city would smell really bad and that it was very expensive but I really didn't see justification for either of those things. Sure, the odd canal had a slight whiff, particularly after it had rained but the bars and restaurants were averagely priced, I think we paid around 50 euros for dinner for two (two courses and a bottle of wine) which in my book really isn't that bad particularly as we were right in the heart of Venice.
The one thing that no one prepares you for is acqua alta in some of the areas nearest the waterfront, particularly Piazza San Marco (St Marks Square). I had heard of Venice being prone to flooding, as I'm sure most people have, but I didn't expect to see people wading through ankle deep water in St Mark's of an evening, I think I was expecting a bit of surface water that would add an edge to photographs. It did make for some great photos and even greater memories and the night that it stormed (the biggest thunderstorm I have ever experienced!) was a one of those things I will never forget, it was pretty amazing being thrown into the best and worst weather the island has to offer so I definitely feel like I got to see the island from a few different perspectives.


We managed to see quite a bit of the city - obviously St Mark's square is home to quite a few of the main tourist/historical attractions such as the Basillica, Doge's Palace and the Campanile so I have plenty of photos of those sites, most of which will be posted on Instagram over the next week or so. The only disappointing thing is that we didn't get to go up the Campanile where you can apparently see the whole city, or the alternative clock tower over on San Giorgio Maggiore which is a tiny island opposite the waterfront entrance to St Marks Square. I would have loved to have seen the city from that perspective but the queues were HUGE and standing in a queue for hours getting sunburnt didn't seem like the best way to spend our time. Instead, we went for aperitif in some of the less tourist-y squares, got gelato and explored the rest of the city.


We took a gondola ride and saw Marco Polo's house, as well as Casanovas', and got a glimpse of the city as it was intended to be seen, from the water.

We visited the Bridge of Sighs and the Rialto Bridge and markets and saw quite a few of the churches, of which there are over 100!


Of course, we went to Hard Rock Cafe ( that's 3 I've been to now, the list is building) and ate pizza on the edges of canals.
I'd read that the island of Murano was worth a visit but that the tour (with free boat ride) was a bit of a scam and that if you didn't buy any glass at the famous glassworks, you weren't given a ride back to Venice Island. To avoid this, and because neither of us were too fussed about the glass, we purchased a 12 hour travel card and set off on an island tour of our own. We visited Murano first and then went over to the smaller Burano, famous for it's brightly painted buildings. I think Burano was one of my favourite parts of the weekend as it's so picturesque and idyllic.

 We came past San Michele (the cemetery island, previously an inhumane asylum and dumping ground for victims of the plague) but were both a little reluctant to stop off and visit because of how haunted it's supposed to be!

I think it would be good to see the island at a different time of year to avoid the daytrippers that pile off of cruise tours each morning. I'm quite keen to experience Carnevale, particularly as I've seen hundreds of masks over the last 3 days but all in shop windows, or Festa del Redentore which celebrates the end of the plague of 1576 and is held on the third Saturday of July - we only just missed out this event which would have seen a floating bridge that temporarily connects St Marks and Guidecca along with the celebratory food, drink and fireworks. 
All in all, I had the BEST weekend and would jump at the chance to go back.
Venezia, we  you.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read all comments and will reply as soon as I can so make sure you check back :)

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig